Asian Studies: Bedell's Review of Bitnet/Internet Lists
[Est.: 21th February 1995. Last revised: 11 Oct 2005. This facility is
provided by the Australian National University (ANU).
This page is a part of the Asian Studies WWW Virtual Library]
keeps track of leading electronic forums pertaining
to Asia-Pacific countries. Please mail
firstname.lastname@example.org if you know of relevant mailing list not in
this list or if you interested in maintaining a WWW VL page for a
particular Asian country or geographical region. Conversly, please notify maintainers of this
document if you feel that any of the electronic forums listed on this page is no
longer good enough to be registered here. Your feed-back will be
Review of Bitnet/Internet Lists for Northeast Asia
[Electronic forums and mailing lists with information about the countries of the Asia and Pacific region ]
Document originally compiled 20 Feb 95 by David Bedell
(email@example.com), Univ. of Bridgeport, USA.
HTML version of this document by T. Matthew Ciolek firstname.lastname@example.org, ANU, Australia.
The following e-mail lists are useful resources for students and others
who want to keep in touch with people from Northeast Asia. By subscribing
to an electronic list, you can receive news or discuss issues of
importance to your country, learn about another culture, practice a
language, or just chat with friends. If you have an account on a
university computer system, or if you subscribe to a network service such
as CompuServe or Fidonet, then you should have access to these lists.
Most of these lists are served by an automatic listserver. To subscribe,
send e-mail to LISTSERV at the indicated node (e.g., LISTSERV@UICVM for
the list H-ASIA) with a message consisting of one line:
e.g.: subscribe h-asia David Bedell
Single-word node names such as UICVM are Bitnet nodes. If you are not on
Bitnet yourself, you will have to add the suffix .BITNET to the node name
(e.g., mail to LISTSERV@UICVM.BITNET). Some of the lists require an
address other than LISTSERV; these are indicated.
This document is part of a longer document about e-mail lists for language
learning and regional studies. To get the current version of that
document, send mail to LISTSERV@UBVM with the message GET FLTEACH FLLISTS
or to LISTSERV@CUNYVM with the message GET LIST OFLISTS1. It is also
accessible by WWW at http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu. The present document (on
Northeast Asia only) is available at http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu.
This document is divided into the following sections:
- Northeast Asia region
- China (includes Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet)
Northeast Asia region
- AANET@IFCSS.ORG ("Asian American Information Network")
- ALTAINET@U.WASHINGTON.EDU Discussion of Altaic languages &
linguistics. Subscription requests to LISTPROC, not LISTSERV.
- APANET@QUEERNET.ORG Queer Asian-Pacific-Americans.
- ASIALIB@INFO.ANU.EDU.AU Australia-based Asian information
service. Subscription requests to MAJORDOMO, not LISTSERV.
- ASIANDOC@MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU ("Asian digitized documents")
Scholars, librarians & others involved in creating electronic versions
of manuscripts/texts in Asian vernacular languages. Subscription
requests to ASIANDOC-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
- CJKLIB-L@DHDURZ1 ("CJKLIB-L Distribution List") Discussion by NE
Asia (China/Japan/Korea) librarians.
- EASCI@CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU ("History of East Asian Science
- EASCI@CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU ("East Asian Science, Technology, & Medicine") The International Society for the History of East Asian Science, Technology, and Medicine. Subscription requests to email@example.com. Message: SUBSCRIBE EASCI
- EASTLIB@MENTO.OIT.UNC.EDU Discussion by Committee on East Asian
- EASUG@GUVAX.GEORGETOWN.EDU ("East Asian Software Users Group")
Subscription requests to MAILSERV, not LISTSERV.
- H-ASIA@MSU.EDU ("H-Net list for Asian History and Culture"
WWW page http://h-net.msu.edu/~asia/)
- VARIATIONS-L@CORNELL.EDU Discussion of Asian American issues
EFJ@TWICS.COM ("Discussion about Japan's Electronic Frontier")
Discussion about Japan & the Internet, in English & encoded Japanese.
Subscription requests to EFJ-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
EMJNET@MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU Academic discussion of early
modern Japan. Subscription requests to PBROWN, not LISTSERV.
HONYAKU@NETCOM.COM Discussion of Japanese-English translation; in
English, romanized Japanese, & encoded Japanese.
J-FOOD-L@JPNKNU01 ("Japanese food & culture discussion list")
JAPAN-COMPUTER-NEWS@NETCOM.COM Biweekly news about computers; in
JAPAN@PUCC ("Japanese Business and Economics Network")
JPINFO-L@JPNSUT00 ("Information list about Japan") US, Japanese &
other users, in English.
JPOP@FERKEL.UCSB.EDU Discussion of Japanese popular music.
Subscription requests to JPOP-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
JTEM-L@UGA ("Japanese Through Electronic Media") Not very active.
JTIT-L@PSUVM ("Japanese Teachers and Instructional Technology")
US, Japan & other users.
JUSA-L@CORNELL.EDU Discussion of politics & culture by members of
Japan- U.S. Association at Cornell & elsewhere.
KIDCAFEJ@NDSUVM1 ("Japanese Youth Dialog") Japanese language list
for kids 10-15 year olds.
NIHONGO@MITVMA ("Japanese Language Discussion List") English
discussion of Japanese language & culture.
NIHONGOTALK@KENYON.EDU ("Japanese Talk") In encoded Japanese.
Subscription requests to MXSERVER, not LISTSERV.
NODAPPLS@JPNSUT30 ("student's discussion list at Noda campus")
Japan, Taiwan & other users.
SUTPPLS@JPNSUT10 ("Student's Discussion List") US, Japan, Taiwan
& other users.
- HANGUL@CAIR.KAIST.AC.KR Korean word processing issues.
Subscription requests to HANGUL-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
- MOOGOONGHWA@UCSD Discussion of Korean politics & economics, in
English & some Korean.
- PEACEINKOREA@KOREA.CALTECH.EDU ("Peace in Korea Mailing List")
News & discussion in English. Subscription requests to
PEACEINKOREA-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
- UBHAN-L@UBVM ("Korean Students at State University of New York at
China (includes Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet)
- AEICNR@U.WASHINGTON.EDU Academic Exchange Information Center - News Release (announcements for Chinese professionals). Subscription requests to LISTPROC, not LISTSERV.
- CAL@CREN.ORG ("Academic Exchange Information Center") Chinese Academic Link; includes AEICNR news releases plus discussion.
- CBJ@PSILINK.COM ("China Business Journal") Daily economic news in English. Subscription requests to P01570, not LISTSERV.
- CCMAN-L@UGA ("CND Chinese Magazine Network") Weekly magazine "Hua Xia Wen Zhai" in encoded Chinese.
- CCNET-L@UGA ("Chinese Computing Network") Chinese text processing.
- CCNL@UTARLVM1 ("Newsletter on Chinese Community") Includes PBS-L reports.
- CHINA-EDUCATION@HKUSUB.HKU.HK Discussion of education in China. Subscription requests to MAJORDOMO, not LISTSERV.
- CHINA-L@UCF1VM ("Florida - China Linkage Institute Discussion List")
- CHINA-LINK@IFCSS.ORG ("China Link Club") Weekly import/export news.
- CHINA-ND@KENTVM ("China News Digest (US News)") News of interest to Chinese students in US. In English, 1-2 issues/week.
- CHINA-NN@ASUACAD ("China News Network (Global News)") Daily news about China, in English, plus weekly "CND Books & Journals Review."
- CHINA-NT@UGA ("China-Net") Coordination network for Chinese community. Includes Chinese Community Forum & IFCSS HQ Weekly Journal.
- CHINA@PUCC ("Chinese Studies List") Academic discussion of sinology (philosophy, history, language, etc.), in English.
- CHINANET@TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU ("Networking in China") English discussion on connecting China to electronic networks.
- CHINESE-PHILOSOPHY@THINK.NET Discussion of ancient Chinese philosophy.
- CHINESE@KENYON.EDU ("This list is established to promote communication among teachers, researchers and students of the Chinese language") Subscription requests to MXSERVER, not LISTSERV.
- CHISA-CM@CHISA.EDU.CN ("China's Scholars Abroad Chinese Magazine") Weekly magazine in encoded Chinese.
- CHNSIG-L@PURCCVM ("NAFSA China Special Interest Group") National Association of Foreign Student Advisors.
- CHPOEM-L@UBVM ("Chinese Poem Exchange & Discussion List") In English & encoded Chinese.
- CLNET@U.WASHINGTON.EDU ("The Chinese Law Net") Discussion in English. Subscription requests to LISTPROC, not LISTSERV.
- CMC-BULLETIN@IFCSS.ORG ("Center for Modern China Bulletin Board") Reports in English from the CMC policy research institute.
- CMC-FORUM@IFCSS.ORG ("Center for Modern China Forum") English discussion on Chinese political & economic policy.
- CNC-L@UVVM ("China News (Canada)") Includes all news on CHINA-NN, plus news of interest to Chinese in Canada.
- CND-EP@IUBVM ("China News Digest - Europe/Pacific") 1-2 issues/week.
- CTN-LIST@UTCC.UTORONTO.CA ("The Canada Tibet Network") News & discussion on Tibet. Subscription requests to CTN-EDITORS, not LISTSERV.
- DIGNITY-L@CORNELL.EDU News about human rights in China.
- EAAN@CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU ("Early East Asian History & Archaeology", The Society for the Study of Early China). Subscription requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Message: SUBSCRIBE EAAN
- EMEDCH-L@USCVM ("The Early Medieval China Mailing List")
- FACSS-L@UMINN1 ("Friendship Association of Chinese Students & Scholars")
- FCSSCN-L@UALTAVM ("FCSSCN-L stands for FCSSC News Release") English news for the Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in Canada.
- FHY-GB@CUNEWS.CARLETON.CA ("FCSSC Chinese Newsmagazine Feng Hua Yuan") English news releases & encoded Chinese monthly magazine for the Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars in Canada.
- GCI-L@DEARN ("Chinese student group in Germany") Gesellshchaft fuer Chinesische Informatiker. In English, romanized Chinese, & German.
- HEADLINE@ASIAINFO.COM ("AsiaInfo Exclusive Daily News Headline List")
- HKLIB-L@HKUCC.HKU.HK Librarians in Hong Kong. Subscription requests to MAILSERV, not LISTSERV.
- LYTX@MCGILL1 ("LYTX (Lian/ Yi\\ Tong- Xun\\) Chinese Newsmagazine") Monthly journal in encoded Chinese.
- PBS-L@IFCSS.ORG ("IFCSS Personal Broadcasting System") Reports from the the Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS).
- SINOLIST@MAILSERV.ZDV.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE Academic discussion of sinology, in German. Subscription requests to SINOLIST-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
- STUDYUSA@TWNMOE10 ("USA Study Discussion Group (For Chinese students)") Chinese users in Taiwan, US & elsewhere.
- TAIWAN-L@IM.MGT.NCU.EDU.TW Users in Taiwan. Includes CHINA-NN news.
- TAIWAN-L@VTVM1 ("Taiwan Discussion List")
- TAOISM-STUDIES-L@COOMBS.ANU.EDU.AU Scholarly discussion group of Taoism and Taoist Philosophy. Subscription requests to MAJORDOMO, not LISTSERV.
- TAOISM@THINK.NET Discussion of Taoist philosophy.
- TIBET-L@CORNELL.EDU Forum of the Tibetan Awareness Group at Cornell.
- TIBET-L@IUBVM ("Tibet Interest List") Discussion about Tibet.
- TIBETAN-STUDIES-L@COOMBS.ANU.EDU.AU (Subscription requests
to MAJORDOMO, not LISTSERV)
- TWSIM-L@IM.MGT.NCU.EDU.TW ("Taiwan Society for Information Management")
- TWUNIV-L@TWNMOE10 ("Chinese Scholars and students discussion list") Users in Taiwan & abroad. Includes all news on CHINA-NN & CHINA-ND.
- WEIMING@ULKYVM ("Chinese Newsletter Distribution List") Bimonthly literary journal, in encoded Chinese.
- WTN-L@MCGILL1 ("World Tibet Network News List") Daily news.
- ZHONGWEN@NADA.KTH.SE Discussion of Chinese computing; European users. Subscription requests to ZHONGWEN-REQUEST, not LISTSERV.
The following religious discussion lists, in English, might also be of
This WWW server is provided by the Coombs Computing Unit, Research Schools
of Social Sciences & Pacific and Asian Studies at the Australian National
Maintainer: Dr T.Matthew Ciolek (email@example.com), ANU, Canberra
Copyright © 1995, 1996 by David Bedell & Coombs Computing Unit, ANU. This Web page may be linked to any
other Web pages. Contents may not be altered.
[ Asian Studies WWW VL ]
[ Coombsweb ]