27 May 2008
Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre (SAC)
SAC, Bangkok, Thailand.
Self-description: "The Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Anthropology Centre [...] is an non-profit academic institution that was initially established by Silapakorn University, Bangkok, Thailand in 1991 in commemoration of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's 36th birthday. The Centre was established in Her Royal Highness's honor and seeks to fullfil her wish to establish and develop a national institution responsible for the systematic gathering, processing and servicing of anthropological data. SAC is committed to fostering academic progress through the extension of anthropological knowledge, through the propagation of new research and findings, through the encouragement and support of development in research studies, and in the accumluation of an extensive collection of anthropology materials (with a focus on Thailand and Southeast Asia)."
* About (SAC Committee, Audio/Visual Service, Meeting Rooms, Contact Us, Map/Directions);
* Online Databases (Thailand and Southeast Asia Ethnic Groups Research Database, Local Museum Database, Ethnic Groups in Thailand, Mons Studies Database, SAC News Clipping, Thai Folk Literature Western Region (Thai), Encyclopedia of Old Folk Toys, Thai Inscriptions (Thai));
* Resources (HRH Princes Maha Chakri Sirindhorn [a biographical note - ed.], Onsite Databases - "The following Thai language databases are available onsite in the SAC Library for SAC members: Thai Art History, Lanna Art, Sukothai Art, Ayuttahya Art, Archaeological Sites in Thailand, Paintings and Sculptures in Buddhist Monasteries, Catalogs for the SAC Permanent Exhibitions, Directory of Anthropologists, The Chuang People Database, Future Databases - The following databases are currently in development: National Artists Registry (Thai and English), Homonides (Thai), Basketry (Thai)", SAC Media & Publications (Thai), Map/Directions);
* Media Links (Bangkokbiznews, Bangkok Post, Business Day, Daily News, Khaosod, Komchadluek, Manager, Matichon, Naewna, Thairath, Thannews, The Nation);
* Audio/Visual ("seven databases that can be searched through this website: VCDs (Video CDs), CDs, Video Cassetes, Audio Cassettes, Pictures, Photographic Slides, and the text archives");
* Exhibits [physical displays at the Centre] (HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Biographic Exhibition, Thai Ceramic Collections, Social and Cultural Development in Thailand Exhibition, Ethno-Archaeology Exhibition).
Internet Archive (web.archive.org) [the site was not archived at the time of this abstract]
Link reported by: T. Matthew Ciolek (tmciolek--at-coombs.anu.edu.au)
* Resource type [news - documents - study - corporate info. - online guide]: Corporate Info./Study
* Publisher [academic - business - government - library/museum - NGO - other]: Academic
* Scholarly usefulness [essential - v.useful - useful - interesting - marginal]: Essential
* External links to the resource [over 3,000 - under 3,000 - under 1,000 - under 300 - under 100 - under 30]: under 300